Sunday, December 12, 2010

Manataurs and You: A Discussion About Cut Scenes In Cataclysm

 
Back in the day, when Magister's Terrace finally came out, it was a big deal. Not really because it was new, but mostly because once you killed the second boss something happened that we hadn't really experienced yet: an in game cut scene appeared. Nowadays if you've quested in Uldum, you'll notice very quickly this zone is littered with cut-scenes. Like I think there's like two or three cut scenes per quest you turn in. There are cut scenes within cut scenes. It is crazy.

Now today I will ask you this question: is it a good addition to the game? Or is it an annoyance? What do you think?

Personally, I enjoy it. I watch every cinematic that I can. I think it's fun that they use your character as well. My favourite thus far is the manataur movie at the beginning of Uldum; it actually made me laugh out loud. This is something not many things accomplish.

On the other hand, I know my friends skip the cut scenes. Not because they don't care, it's just they see it as a hindrance to their leveling style. They don't read the quest text, they just want to get to max level. There's nothing wrong with this. I do however feel like these people miss out on awesome moments.

So what do you think? Do you like the in game movies? Let me know! Tell me what you think in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I personally like them myself, the one where you're on the sabotage missions in Uldum is one i have a particular soft spot for (that mischievous running away cracks me up xD).

    I do wish more of them had voice acting though, the silent cut scenes while nice, just feel a little lacking compared to the overs.

    There is a really terrible voice in one of them that took me aback when i heard it but i can't remember which. Maybe they just made some guy at the office record that one :P

    ReplyDelete